How to access residential aged care vacancies

Find out if you are eligible for one of our residential aged care vacancies

The decision to place a loved one in care can be quite overwhelming and emotional. To assist you with this process Anglican Care have created an easy to follow guide to accessing residential aged care vacancies.

When considering any type of aged care services the first step is to organise for a free assessment by your local Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). You can also be referred to the ACAT team by your GP.

The assessment can take place in your home or in a hospital and the ACAT member will assess whether you are eligible to receive care and which services you need. You are welcome to have someone with you for the assessment such as a family member or friend for further support.

The assessment will be provided to you and will access if you are eligible to receive residential aged care services, including short-term respite care. The ACAT assessment, also known as the Aged Care Client Record (ACCR), is necessary for all government-funded aged care service providers.

Following the assessment, you’ll then be able to apply for residential home bed vacancies.

For more information on ACAT or residential aged care in general:

  • Visit the MyAgedCare website
  • Call the MyAgedCare contact centre  1800 200 422 (Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 10am to 2pm).

To be considered for one of our aged care vacancies a number of forms and documents are required to be completed and provided to our Customer Service Centre.

“Aged Care Client Record” (ACCR).  This is the assessment which is completed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) confirming eligibility for permanent residential care;

Click here to view the Application for Respite Care or Permanent Entry to an Aged Care Home – Part A Application

If the applicant has appointed a Power of Attorney(s) or enduring Guardian(s), please provide a copy of these documents with the completed Application Form.

Additionally, it is recommended that you complete the “Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment”.  This is a Centrelink form to be completed and sent to either the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, depending on whether the applicant receives an income support payment and which Department makes this payment.

Click here to view the Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment Form

Please contact:

Completed forms can be delivered in person to our Customer Service Centre or posted / email. Our Customer Service Centre contact details are;

Lady in residential home care with man in background